Friday, January 23, 2009

back to school, back to school...

Well, it's official. As of Tuesday, I am a STUDENT again!! Yes, I do feel a little like Billy Madison, being kind of old with all the 17 year old fresheman, but i love it still. Crazy to say, as I know those of you who were close to me know that I was SOOO ready to graduate. :) But I have made some major life decisions, and I am back in school to be a teacher. But let's be honest, I could be a student for my WHOLE life. I love it. There is a thrill I get from being on campus, walking with my backpack, listening to my ipod. Sitting in class and taking notes. I really really love taking notes. I love to color code them. What else is there to do with someone who loves taking notes then keep them in school. haha. So far, it's been great. Most definitely it is insanely different from BYU. I am already really really struggling with my two of my completely one-sided, extremly liberal professors. I mean, I don't mind hearing views that contradict my own, but at LEAST present both sides of the issues! Apparently, that doesn't happen here. But it's ok... overall, school is awesome.

I have been thinking so much about why I love learning and education. I guess it stems back to my parents. Both my mom and dad have been huge influences in teaching me the importance of school. It is a value that has always been at the forefront of our lives. I have run across some good quotes from some of the Brethren that support education too. Here are some of the good ones..

"The Lord has commanded, "Seek learning, even by study and also by faith" (D&C 88:118). He has counseled us to learn the gospel and to gain an understanding "of things both in heaven and in the earth, . . . that [we] may be prepared in all things" (D&C 88:78–80)."
"We should always work to educate our minds and our hands so we can succeed in our chosen fields. Our education should be an influence for good and our use of it should distinguish us as people of integrity. A good education will prepare us for opportunities as they come and will help us be an asset to our families, the Church, and our communities. -True to the Faith"

This is the BEST quote ever. These following things are some of my very favorites.
"In addition to furthering our education through formal schooling, we can continue learning by reading, attending wholesome cultural events, visiting museums and historic sites, and observing the world around us. -True to the Faith"
My heart beats a little bit faster when I am about to enter a museum or embark upon some ruins or other historical site. Call me a NERD, (I call myself that), but it is an incredible feeling to expand your understanding of the world.
"Russell M. Nelson, Ensign, Nov. 1992, 6–8Because of our sacred regard for each human intellect, we consider the obtaining of an education to be a religious responsibility."

I can't wait to teach my own kids the importance of education. It is so important to me, and as a teacher, I couldn't hope for more than trying to pass on just a taste of the passion I have for learning and education.

Anyway, enough of this soap box! I just am so excited to be a true BSU BRONCO!!



Josh and I have some fun things coming up!! We are going to McCALL this weekend to watch my Dad play in a Hockey tournament. I'm sure Josh will take some sweet photos, so I will post those. Also, we are going to UTAH next week because Josh's counsin Jake is getting married! I love weddings!! :) So all good things....

Anyway, I better go, apparently I have some homework to do.... haha.

4 comments:

The McFarlands said...

I'm so excited you are back at school! I would love to be! Instead I am supposed to be TEACHING SCHOOL...not the same, but in the same ballpark. I can't wait to see you next weekend! Love you! P.s. thanks for being happy for me!

Muncher Cruncher said...

Yeah! I'm so excited for you heath! (and jealous too!) Reading your post makes me miss school. I better get to see that face of yours next week...or else!

Susan said...

where are they getting married? i'm going to utah next weekend and am doing bridals around the slc temple! if you are there we'll look for each other! good luck in school! i'm a slacker and haven't called you back! forgive me!!!!

Ally said...

YAY FOR GOING TO SCHOOL FOR FIFTY MILLION YEARS!!! see it's not so bad is it.... if only there was a way to get paid!! i'm so excited for you! i can't wait for you to kick some bsu freshman *** in your classes. as a former cougar/bronco, you are going to LOVE the tests!!!