Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Last year I missed mother's day as a mom by about 19 hours. I remember saying outloud to everyone on Mother's Day last year, May 9, 2010, that I could not be pregnant for one more day. Even though my little bundle of joy wasn't due for 2.5 more weeks, I was ready to be a mom. I felt it that day, and to my joyous surprise, my water broke at 6 am the next day. Already, my little baby girl was trying to make me happy by coming early because she knew how ready I was to be a mom...
Fast forward one whole year, and here I am on my first official mother's day as a Mom, and I can't even put in to words how much more I love my daughter. Lily Jane is the most beautiful, wonderful blessing I could have ever imagined being in my life. Every day when I wake up, I am grateful to be a mom. I remember the first time Lily said "mama" to me, and I felt my heart melt. She started off by only crying "mama mama!" when she was sad, but then it quickly turned in to her saying it all the time, and I love it every single time I hear it. It's like a sweet little reminder that I am her mom, and she is my baby, and nothing can ever change that.

I have loved reflecting on the calling of being a mother today, and how glad I am that it's such an integral part of the Lord's plan for me. I have such a testimony of motherhood, and how much the gospel plan is all about LOVE. The Savior died for us because he loves us, we are supposed to find a husband that we love and spend eternity with, love connects families forever, and now I get to love my daughter and teach her how to love the Savior. It makes me think of my own mother, and how grateful I am for her...
My mom really did teach me to love the Savior. Through actions, words, and spirit, she loved the Savior, and I could see that everyday. My mom has been gone in Europe for three weeks now, and I am just DYING without her. All of us girls are. :) It made me realize how much I look forward to talking to her every day, and hearing her comforting words. Here are a few things I love about my mom...
- She is genuinely excited for all of my little successes, and is one of the few people who likes to listen to all of my stories about Lily all the time.
- She is supportive, and remembers all the big and small events in all of our lives. I love getting a text from her saying "good luck teaching today", or "hang in there through your evaluation" She always knows when I need those words.
- She is so beautiful, inside and out.
- She truly is THE most Christlike person I know. Those of you who know my mom can attest to that.
- She is the most incredible mother to all five of her dramatic, demanding, high maitanaince girls. (sorry sisters... but it's true most of the time) Over the years, she has scrapped our windows at five in the morning, written us notes in our lunches, made us endless amounts of food, and been there to support us in every game, recital, or show. Mom, we can never thank you enough.
- She always is so positive and opptimistic about everything, and sees the good in everybody.
- She is a life long learner, and loves to travel, read books, and is passionate about education.
- Mom, I could go on and on...

I thought that when I became a mom, that i would wake up the next day and be able to do the things taht I have seen my mom do. That I would be a great cook, full of service, handle the details of everyone's lives, and the energy to keep the house clean and do all the things I need to for Lily. Unfortunately... it's not happening. I am learning more and more everyday how motherhood will truly be a journey. Somedays are great, somedays I feel like I fail... But I do know that I can keep looking to my mom as an example, and will keep working on becoming like her. Thanks mom for your amazing example.
There are so many other amazing examples of Moms in my life. My sweet grandmothers are so kind and beautiful, my dear friends with young children and so fun to watch and grow from, and most of all, my dear sweet Mother in Law Karen is such an incredible mom and grandmother to Lily. She is so selfless and caring, and I know we can count on her for anything. She is truly so giving and genuine, and we are so lucky to have her so close. We love you Karen so much! Happy mothers day!

From all of these examples in my life, I am so blessed and happy to be a Mom. I feel like everyday, Lily is giving me great Mommy Lessons as I learn the tricks of the trade, and I really would never have it any other way. I love learning how to be the best Mom to my little girl that I can, but I couldnt' resist the chance to say how much I love my mom, and how she truly is my best friend.

Love you Mom!! Come home from Europe right now! I miss you! :)

1 comment:

Karalee and Austin said...

Oh my goodness! Favorite post yet. This is so sweet. I love every part, I love that you are a mommy to sweet Lily. She loves you so much, and of course I Love our mother! Everything you said is so true, she is Amazing and you are quickly following in her footsteps :) love you!